My Rubicon left me stranded

Back to General Discussion

NOTE: Guests cannot currently post to this Forum. If you would like to join the club, click here.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:27am

My Jeep broke down in the Cleveland National forest Sunday.  I was way back where there’s no cell service.  When it quit, it just stopped suddenly.  The gas gauge registered E as though it were out of gas.  My girlfriend said, “it’s out of gas, lets go get some”.  But I knew that there was 3/4 of a tank and the something was wrong because I couldn’t hear the fuel pump, and the gauge said E.  Well, we walked and hitch rides until we got some gas and brought it back to the Jeep.  I put the gas in and it started right up.  I was excited but I noticed that the fuel gauge registered 3/4.  All of a sudden 30 seconds later it quit and the gauge registered E and the fuel light was on.  We walked 2 more miles to where we could get cell service and my buddy Jack came with his truck to tow me back to the highway.  We called AAA and towed it home.

I ran diagnositcs with a scanner, no codes.  I checked every fuse and every relay.  All good.  I checked the wire loom behind valve cover.  Good.  I check some other wires and was about to call it quits when I touched the ECU plug on the right and it was loose.  I pushed it in until it locked and it started right up.  That stupid loose plug caused all my worries.  I was out on a date with a girlfriend when this happened.  It was our third date and it was basically her birthday weekend.  

I did find a nice trail that I'd like to take with some friends.  I went up about a mile or so but turned around because I didn't have any backup support.  I didn't want to get stranded up there with a girl on my third date since it was a 4x4 trail and it was narrow.  It so happens that my Rubicon quit about 10 minutes after exiting that trail and we were on a much more accessable dirt road.
thumbnail

Jeep Daddy
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon Wrangler

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:36pm

The last Trek I was on my battery decided to die overnight and nothing but click/click the next morning.  If not for the others in the group I would have been walking in Death Valley for a while.  Just goes to show a sensor or anything can decide to fail at a inopportune time.  Glad all is well with you and the rig. Tim

thumbnail

Zep
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee