High Power Mobile Ham Radios

Back to General Discussion

NOTE: Guests cannot currently post to this Forum. If you would like to join the club, click here.

Friday, March 27, 2015 3:29pm

On the Oriflamme and Rodriguez Canyons trip I was asked about which mobile ham radio I'd recommend.  Here are my recommendations for high quality, high power (over 50 watts) 2 meter mobile radios:

Yaesu FT-2900R, 75 watts, $200

Icom IC-V8000, 75 watts, $220

Kenwood TM-281A, 65 watts, $145

Look up each of these model numbers with "reviews" on Google and read the evaluations on www.eham.net to decide which radio you want.  Then buy it from Ham Radio Outlet in Anaheim.  They can also give you recommendations on the best performing antenna for your rig.  Or, you could buy the radio online from Amateur Electronic Supply (another good distributor I use).  But I'd still recommend you go to HRO to discuss antennas with them.

Once you get your radio, if you would like suggestions or assistance with the installation, feel free to contact me.

1996 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee

Friday, March 27, 2015 3:58pm
High Power Mobile Ham Radios

If anyone is interested, I have a Yeasu FT-7800R that I'll sell for $250 cash.  It's rated at 50w on 2M and 40W on 440MHz.  So this is a dual band UHF/VHF rig with over 1000 Memory channels.  It's been replaced by the FT7900R that sells for about $350.  

Bud (Jeep Daddy)

Jeep Daddy
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon Wrangler