Installing a mobile ham radio in your 4X4

Back to General Discussion

NOTE: Guests cannot currently post to this Forum. If you would like to join the club, click here.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:20pm

MOBILE RADIO INSTALLATION

QST Magazine, May 2015, P. 35

Here is the proper way to install the power leads for a mobile radio in newer cars which have multiple CPUs.  This method will allow the car’s Electronic Load Detector to sense the current draw by the radio and thus protect the car’s Battery Monitoring System.

Positive wire – Fused and connected directly to the positive terminal on the battery

Negative wire – Fused and connected to the chassis ground to which the battery’s negative cable also attaches

The previous recommended method for wiring a mobile radio had the negative wire attach directly to the negative terminal of the battery without an inline fuse.  The new installation guidelines would also work on an older vehicle.

thumbnail

Bypass
1996 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:49pm
Where to mount the rig

Does anyone have any ideas where to mount a ham radio tranceiver in a TJ?  I've got a Yaesu FT-857D transceiver that has a removable face.  I have a place for the face to mount, but I don't have a clue where the best place is to mount the transceiver chassis.  Also, doesn anyone have experience running the power leads throught the firewall on a TJ.  I'll need to put a couple of fused 16AWG leads from the battery to the rig once I find a suitable place to mount the transceiver chassis.

Regards,

Jeep Daddy aka Bud

thumbnail

Jeep Daddy
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon Wrangler

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:03pm
Drill

I drilled a hole in the firewall for the wires. Make sure you use a grommet.
thumbnail

Camperman
1991 Jeep YJ

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:44pm
Ham Mount

* EDITED *

I mounted mine like this guy's Option 1:   http://www.redjeepclub.com/tech/hamradio/radioinstall.php

thumbnail

JonesBones
1995 Jeep YJ

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:22pm
Mobile Radio Installation

I have a Yaesu FT 7600. I mounted the transceiver to the padded soundbar behind the passenger side seat. I used 2 large tie wraps to hold the bracket to the sound bar. I also mounted an auxillery speaker to the roll bar behind the passenger / driver seats in the center of the bar in front of the dome light using 2 large tie wraps. The removable face I have mounted above the drivers side sun visor. It is attached to my rollbar using 4 small tie wraps. I placed a piece of rubber weather stripping between the face and the rollbar. I have a Rock Hard bolt in roll cage in the front. 

Bob Schaich

Pathfinder

thumbnail

Pathfinder
1999 Jeep TJ Sahara

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:48pm

Here are some wire current capacities:

#16, 10A

#14, 15A

#12, 20A

I always go one size larger wire than my radio needs, but use the correct size fuse for the radio.

thumbnail

Bypass
1996 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:50pm

I guess I better use #12
thumbnail

Jeep Daddy

Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:08am
Firewall

To run wires through firewall,I have a 98 TJ and the firewall passenger side is a bust. But the driver side is where the main wiring harness comes in. There is a large rubber grommet, I was able to squeeze quite a few more wires with it. Use split tube on engine side and tie rap to factory harness
thumbnail

Buccaneer
1998 Jeep TJ

Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:29pm

I finally got my Yaesu FT-857D installed in my Jeep. I mounted the tranceiver under the drivers seat to the seat pedistal. I ran all the coax up near the passenger side tail light and over the gas tank then inside the Jeep behind the drivers seat through a rubber grommet and terminated to the transceiver. The remote face is mounted to a bracket above the shifter and the cable under the center console. The power wire connects directly to the battery, is double fused, traverses along the fire wall and through the fire wall under the master cylinder, along the bottom of the door opening and under the drivers seat to the transceiver.
thumbnail

Jeep Daddy