Skid Plate Question

Back to General Discussion

NOTE: Guests cannot currently post to this Forum. If you would like to join the club, click here.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:34pm

If you were buying engine, transmission, and transfer case skid plates for a stock (unlifted) vehicle, and your two choises were 3/16" thick steel or 1/4" thick 5052 aluminum (at a slightly higher price), which would you choose?

Thank you.

thumbnail

Bypass
1996 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:13pm
Steel

Buy steel. It bends but can be hammered back into shape. (Fargo fixed his that way) Aluminum can crack and then you're done. Aluminum also persipitation age hardens as the years go by, thereby predisposing it to cracking. Impervium and unobtainium are better but aren't readily available to the sport market. :) I'd buy steel.
thumbnail

Camperman
1991 Jeep YJ

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 10:11pm
Steel

Roughly speaking, aluminum is half as strong but 1/3 the weight as steel. So a 3/8” aluminum plate is close to the strength of 3/16” steel, With a weight savings of 1/3. 1/4” aluminum would be less strong than 3/16” steel. As Bruce said, Steel is more malleable and can take reforming/shaping, aluminum fatigues with bending. Just my two cents
thumbnail

Buccaneer
1998 Jeep TJ

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 10:41pm
Aluminum

I have aluminum and they have had a workout. I am happy with them and have not had any problems.
thumbnail

Slim Jimmy
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th anniversary