Miller Jeep Trail one-day run?

WE4BY
August 29th 2019
Return to Events and Treks Discussion

Miller jeep trail is near Hungry Valley, by Gorman. It is usually referred to as Lockwood Creek / Miller Jeep trail.

Last Sunday, I tried to scout it out with my daughter. She has no offroad experience, we were by ourselves, and there we no other vehicles in the area. After descending less than 1/4 mile from the trailhead, we hit an obstacle we were not prepared to pass, so we turned around, and had a fun day driving some more moderate trails. When I got home, I looked at a number of youtube videos of people on this trail, and the spot we did not go over seems to be the toughest part of the trail.

I would like to go back with a group, and make this a one day run. JKA suggested that we drive to the trailhead at Dutchman campsite on Friday night, and camp there. Late morning departure time would allow people the option of driving in Saturday morning. Trail might take 4-5 hours, according to some reviews. At the end of the trail, fastest way home would be through Frazier Park.

Most people seem to do this trail west to east, so that they are climbing Miller Jeep Trail. Doing so would require finding a different campsite.

I was considering doing this on Saturday Sept 14th (Camping Friday night, Sept 13th, not for the superstitious). I am happy to organize this trip, if there is interest. If anyone has suggestions, please respond, or bring then to the meeting next Tuesday.

Greg WE4BY Unruh

I'm down but the toyota may high center in some spots, we can pull you over 

I'd like to and think my rig may be capable, but I'll be playing soldier that weekend. (I've got my Army reserve training that date).

I heard a rumor that a midnight run is being planned that same weekend. Lots to figure out at Tuesday meeting.

You should put a placeholder on the calendar.  Typically, if you lead it, they will com!

Bruce tells me that Moonlight Run near Calico is going to happen that weekend. I still want to lead Miller, but not sure when. We can talk Wednesday.
Return to Events and Treks Discussion